Jazz Connective - Cooperation project / Creative Europe
Jazz Connective is a collaborative project between different European actors, born from a thorough observation on the jazz and innovative music sector. In the midst of new issues, many artists and organizations are now making a common statement, reflecting new challenges within their practices: lack of promotion, difficulties in defining their careers and their relationship to institutions as well as a feeling of remoteness from the audience.
Faced with these questions, we believe that a European approach can contribute to building new strategies for the defence and promotion of these aesthetics. Based on transnational mobility, the Jazz Connective project therefore aims at generating a common reflection on these changes as well as promoting a culture that is both more inclusive and influential of innovative economic models.
Jazz Connective is a project built to sustainably strengthen our artistic scenes, composed of promoters and producers, musicians and professionals, by exploring these issues on a European scale. This project is supported by the European Union within the framework of Creative Europe - Cooperation Project and will take place in several stages, in several European cities.
7 “Focus” events will take place in 7 European cities with the help of our partners:
- Druga Godba (Ljubljana, Slovenia) is a major festival in Central Europe. Their concept - finding and presenting lesser-known music, from jazz to world music, through innovative artistic performances - is unique in this part of the world.
- Vaapat äänet (Helsinki, Finland) - Free Voices and Sounds in Finnish - is an agency weaving links between broadcasters in the simmering hotbed of jazz and innovative music in France, Finland and the Nordic and Baltic countries.
- Improvised Music Company (Dublin, Ireland) is an organisation operating in jazz and related musical forms. Their festival “12 points” invites young European artists to perform in Dublin and partner cities, alternatively each year.
- Performances Birmingham (Birmingham, United Kingdom) manages the Town Hall and the Symphony Hall. Jazz takes a important place in the concerts they host, along with an arts education program.
- The New Vortex Jazz Club (London, United Kingdom) is one of the most emblematic jazz clubs in Europe since its creation 27 years ago. This venue is an important platform for jazz, improvised and experimental music in Europe.
- Wytwórnia Foundation (Łódź, Poland) The Wytwórnia Foundation is the organizer of the annual Summer Jazz Academy festival and the educational program for professional artists Intl Jazz Platform. In recent years, Summer Jazz Academy has presented figures from the Polish and international jazz scene.
- Le Périscope (Lyon, France) gathers and collaborates with innovative music artists and leads a reflection on music - improvised, amplified and contemporary - from jazz, to participate in its production, promotion and dissemination. http://www.periscope-lyon.com
These highlights will combine workshops, conferences, visits of production sites and a series of concerts
The following points will be discussed foremost :
- the circulation of artists in Europe;
- the management of new necessary skills for artists in their activities
- the development and stimulation of the artistic scenes of the territories in the fields of jazz and innovative music.
The artistic dimension of the project will include:
- 1 residency in each city for a musician from another city. The artist will be selected by the artistic director of his country of origin.
- 1 series of concerts with artists from each partner country.
Finally, in order to disseminate the knowledge and experience acquired during these highlights, we plan to create a European cluster in the medium term and develop a content distribution site beyond these 3 years of the Jazz Connective project.